Yunus&Youth Global Fellowship Program for Social Entrepreneurs 2021
Applications for the 7th cohort of the Yunus & Youth Global Fellowship Program are now OPEN! For young social entrepreneurs running social businesses aligned with the UN’s SDGs. They are excited to have you join them to become a part of a growing community of young social business leaders that are leveraging their skills, experiences, and the Yunus&Youth ecosystem to further the United Nations (UN) Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) agenda.
The Yunus & Youth Global Fellowship (Y&Y Fellowship) is a virtual, six-month program that is designed specifically for operating social businesses. The program is free, with no fee or equity stake required, and the application season is now open for the seventh global cohort. The relationships that would be built will transform the fellows’ social business and ultimately help promote sustainable global development and economic growth for the world.
In the fellowship program, Y&Y Fellows access training on an online platform, including interactive assignments designed to help Fellows build a strong business plan. The Y&Y team works closely with each Y&Y Fellow to connect them with the specialized tools and training they need. Y&Y Fellows are matched with mentors from Fortune 500 companies, bringing know-how from the private sector. Y&Y offers Fellows the opportunity to learn from top social business thinkers, such as Professor Muhammad Yunus and researchers from prominent institutions. At the end of the program, Y&Y Fellows pitch to a panel of investors with deep knowledge of social businesses. Y&Y Fellows become part of a network of social business leaders, building close ties that last long after their cohort graduates.
What does the Yunus & Youth Global Fellowship include?
- Online training
Y&Y Fellows access training on an online platform, including interactive assignments designed to help Fellows build a strong business plan.
- Tailored to the needs of each Fellow
The Y&Y team works closely with each Y&Y Fellow to connect them with the specialized tools and training they need.
- Mentors from Fortune 500 companies
Y&Y Fellows are matched with mentors from Fortune 500 companies, bringing know-how from the private sector.
- Insights from top sources
Y&Y offers Fellows the opportunity to learn from top social business thinkers, such as Professor Muhammad Yunus and researchers from prominent institutions.
- Final pitch competition
At the end of the program, Y&Y Fellows pitch to a panel of investors with deep knowledge of social businesses.
- Global community
Y&Y Fellows become part of a network of social business leaders, building close ties that last long after their cohort graduates.
Yunus&Youth exists to make the challenge of social entrepreneurship easier. Y&Y was inspired by the work of Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhammad Yunus and his belief that companies and entrepreneurs can engage in business models that create real sustainable social impact. People around the world struggle with social problems: some lack of access to safe drinking water while others struggle with unemployment or insufficient health services (to name a few). Here is where social business comes in. These early-stage start-ups drive social change because their founders are close to the problems they’re solving and the communities they’re helping. Like GreenChar in Kenya, where Y&Y Fellow Yina sells affordable charcoal briquettes that reduce the risk of contracting respiratory illnesses. Or Bella Handmade Jewelry, founded by Y&Y Fellow Walaa, which offers employment opportunities to women in refugee camps in Palestine. What makes social businesses unique is that they are for-profit, but they’re not profit-driven—they’re driven by their vision to improve society.
They know that social businesses have the power to improve communities and change the world. But we also know that successfully combining business skills, financial sustainability, and social impact is hard. That is why Y&Y exists. Y&Y started when a group of people from around the world came together in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to connect with leaders in social business. That’s where they saw a huge potential: What if the current generation of business leaders shared what they know with the next generation of social entrepreneurs? A funny thing happens when ambitious young people declare they need help to shape the future. People help. Since that conference in Malaysia, the Y&Y network and team have grown—and it keeps getting bigger.
- Y&Y Fellows are offered a high-quality experience that includes access to an online training platform, interactive projects, mentoring with Fortune 500 professionals, and access to top thinkers and institutions around the world.
- The experience culminates in a final pitch competition with a panel of impact investors.
- The Y&Y Fellowship gives the participants skills they would need to achieve financial sustainability, plan how to scale business, and measure impact.
- Be a part of an individually tailored online mentoring program with an experienced mentor who will provide professional guidance;
- Participate in expert webinars with social business professionals;
- Increase your global network by being part of a global class of exclusively selected young social entrepreneurs;
- Receive support on focus areas and see your business grow and be taken to the next level.
For previous cohorts, Yunus & Youth received applications from thousands of young social business leaders from all around the world. They expect even more applicants for the 7th global cohort in 2021.
They select Y&Y Fellows using the following criteria:
- Dedication and commitment to building a social business that solves social or environmental issues aligned with the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Currently implementing the social business presented in their application (the program is designed for early-stage, operational businesses, rather than business ideas)
- Ability to dedicate at least 5 hours per week to the Y&Y Fellowship
- Interest in contributing to the growth and development of the Y&Y community
- Holding primary decision-making power in the growth and strategic vision of the social business, typically as a founder, co-founder or managing director
- Ability to communicate in English
- Between the ages of 18 and 30, with exceptions for outstanding applicants outside that range
Also, they welcome applications from who-
- Lead innovative social businesses that integrate new technologies, such as 3D printing, artificial intelligence, augmented and virtual reality, big data, bots, blockchain, Internet of Things, machine learning, and mobile apps
- Identify as part of a minority group based on their region’s composition (ethnic/racial minorities, women, gender minorities, LGBTQIA+, refugees and displaced people, or people with disability)
- Lead a social business that focuses on problems faced by members of minority groups
- Have not yet participated in other support programs for social entrepreneurs
Eligible Regions: Open for All
Application Deadline: June 20, 2021 (34 Days Remaining)
Apply from here: Official Link